Old 13-02-2007, 04:39 PM posted to rec.ponds
Zebulon Zebulon is offline

Default Hardy pond plants

wrote in message .. .
Hello,

does anybody know of any in pond plants that can survive a 5 or 6 zone
winter other than Hardy water lilies ?

There are many. I'm in zone 6 which can get darn cold in the winter. I have
Pickerel weed, Lotus, mini and variegated cattails, parrots feather, water
iris in 3 colors... there are so very many. I don't drop them to the bottom
either. They remain in the same place year round. Look at the tags on the
pots as the store. The hardiness zone will be on them - or should be.

I mean the plants that sit right inside on or below the water that will
come back after a cold winter.

I hate buying new tropical plants every year only to see them being thrown
away.

You can try keeping them indoors over the winter. I didn't always have luck
doing that and we have a large sunroom. Since I now have a small greenhouse
I'm keeping over water lettuce. I may try keeping over a few water hyacinths
next winter.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.