Old 13-02-2007, 04:13 PM posted to rec.ponds
No Name

Default Hardy pond plants

Hello,

does anybody know of any in pond plants that can survive a 5 or 6 zone
winter other than Hardy water lilies ?

I mean the plants that sit right inside on or below the water that will
come back after a cold winter.

I hate buying new tropical plants every year only to see them being
thrown away.

Thanks !!!

Old 13-02-2007, 04:39 PM posted to rec.ponds

wrote in message .. .
Hello,

does anybody know of any in pond plants that can survive a 5 or 6 zone
winter other than Hardy water lilies ?

There are many. I'm in zone 6 which can get darn cold in the winter. I have
Pickerel weed, Lotus, mini and variegated cattails, parrots feather, water
iris in 3 colors... there are so very many. I don't drop them to the bottom
either. They remain in the same place year round. Look at the tags on the
pots as the store. The hardiness zone will be on them - or should be.

I mean the plants that sit right inside on or below the water that will
come back after a cold winter.

I hate buying new tropical plants every year only to see them being thrown
away.

You can try keeping them indoors over the winter. I didn't always have luck
doing that and we have a large sunroom. Since I now have a small greenhouse
I'm keeping over water lettuce. I may try keeping over a few water hyacinths
next winter.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-02-2007, 06:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
No Name

Zëbulon wrote:

wrote in message .. .
[...]

I'm hoping just to keep them out there. When ever I bring in pond plants
they don't last until January indoors.

Old 13-02-2007, 07:05 PM posted to rec.ponds

wrote in message .. .
Zëbulon wrote:

wrote in message .. .
[...]

==================================
They don't too well indoors. The hardy ones can be left outside year round.
Avoid the tropicals. Check the tags before you buy any plants and make sure
they're hardy for your zone. If there's no tag, don't buy it. Even then
under certain conditions they may not survive. There are other things that
kill plants besides the cold. They suffer bacterial and viral diseases,
"nutritional" deficiencies etc.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-02-2007, 01:34 AM posted to rec.ponds

Tropical lilies can be saved by wrapping in wet newspaper and double
bagging with heavy duty garbage bags (getting the majority of the air out)
and storing in a garage that is usually in the 40-50F degree range.

T.Cannas can be left in their baskets and pulled out of the pond after
frost knocks them down. Trim off, store in same garage in containers to can
added water to just to keep them moist (not wet).

Palms do well indoors, taros do too, if kept in a sunny area. Depends on
the type of canna. ~ jan

Old 14-02-2007, 03:34 PM posted to rec.ponds

~ jan wrote:
Palms do well indoors, taros do too, if kept in a sunny area. Depends on
the type of canna. ~ jan

Oops, just saw a mis-type. Depends on the type of taro if it does well
inside. This winter we've been really cloudy, very little sun coming in the
only window that gets some and the imperial & black magic are doing
surviving. The violet stem isn't going to make it if the sun doesn't come
up and stick around in the morning at least. :-( I also have a bright
halogen, but it only gets turned on when I'm home and it isn't helping the
violet stem at this time. ~ jan
Old 14-02-2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.ponds

wrote in message .. .
~ jan wrote:
Tropical lilies can be saved by wrapping in wet newspaper and double
bagging with heavy duty garbage bags (getting the majority of the air
out)
and storing in a garage that is usually in the 40-50F degree range.
T.Cannas can be left in their baskets and pulled out of the pond after
frost knocks them down. Trim off, store in same garage in containers to
can
added water to just to keep them moist (not wet). Palms do well indoors,
taros do too, if kept in a sunny area. Depends on
the type of canna. ~ jan

THNX !!!!

If you do keep tropicals indoors check them closely for spider-mites.
They've been a real problem on everything from purple taros to umbrella
palms for me. No amount to spray got rid of the spider mites. The plants
seldom lasted until spring. I have a purple taro in the greenhouse now that
I have to spray constantly. If it dies I'm not replacing it.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.