Old 13-02-2007, 06:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
No Name

Default Hardy pond plants

Zëbulon wrote:

wrote in message .. .
Hello,

does anybody know of any in pond plants that can survive a 5 or 6 zone
winter other than Hardy water lilies ?

There are many. I'm in zone 6 which can get darn cold in the winter. I
have Pickerel weed, Lotus, mini and variegated cattails, parrots
feather, water iris in 3 colors... there are so very many. I don't drop
them to the bottom either. They remain in the same place year round.
Look at the tags on the pots as the store. The hardiness zone will be
on them - or should be.

I mean the plants that sit right inside on or below the water that
will come back after a cold winter.

I hate buying new tropical plants every year only to see them being
thrown away.

You can try keeping them indoors over the winter. I didn't always have
luck doing that and we have a large sunroom. Since I now have a small
greenhouse I'm keeping over water lettuce. I may try keeping over a few
water hyacinths next winter.

I'm hoping just to keep them out there. When ever I bring in pond plants
they don't last until January indoors.