Old 26-03-2003, 04:32 AM
MacTech

Default Pole beans as a screen?

We have a deck on the back of our house that is virtually unusable during a
sunny day when the temperature gets above 75 or so. We were thinking of
planting a screen made of green beans in two large pots with a trellise
between them. The idea is to train the beans up the trellise.

I am wondering if a 1x1x4 foot container would be large enough for the
beans.

Does anybody have any experience growing beans in containers?

How big a space do you need to cover with the beans? I haven't grown
beans in pots, but every year we put pole beans in the garden that we
plant in woven wire baskets (so they can climb the baskets). The
baskets are about three feet in diameter (and four to five feet high)
and I usually put about a dozen seeds in each basket. If you have a
significant space to cover, you might not get enough plants to do the
job in two containers that are only one-foot by one-foot (such as if
you're trying to cover 20 feet).

Sounds like an interesting way to provide shade. Good luck with your
project.

LeAnn

http://ruralroute2.com