Old 13-02-2007, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman cineman is offline

Default Rodents and their (safe) demise

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Robbo" writes:
| Anyone in URG had any success in eradicating dear old Roland Rat from
their
| garden *without* resorting to rodenticide?
|
| There are several cats in my area and I *really* don't want a knock on
| effect of Rat poison if they get to a carcass etc.
| I also have a dog, who's naturally inquisitive about "roadkill" and the
like
| so I am looking for a more humane way of despatching these little
buggers
| before the veg patch gets it's first seedlings soon.

Arsenic is no longer legal for use as a rat poison in this country,
and even phosphorus did not usually contaminate the rat carcases
enough to harm predators. I have never heard of the modern poisons
(legal in the UK) doing so.

Warfarin was used as rat poison and after use could be still present in
relative new carcasses, this causes bleeding teeth in cats and unless
vitamin K is given very early only 1 outcome likely.
Not so sure of more recent domestic poisons, but roland has to ingest at
least 20 per cent of his/her body weight to be fully effective

regards
Cineman

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.