Old 13-02-2007, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rodents and their (safe) demise

"Pete (.¿.)" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:15:04 -0000, "Robbo"
wrote:

"Pete (.¿.)" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 07:07:35 -0000, "Robbo"
wrote:

Anyone in URG had any success in eradicating dear old Roland Rat from
their
garden *without* resorting to rodenticide?

There are several cats in my area and I *really* don't want a knock on
effect of Rat poison if they get to a carcass etc.
I also have a dog, who's naturally inquisitive about "roadkill" and the
like
so I am looking for a more humane way of despatching these little
buggers
before the veg patch gets it's first seedlings soon.

I had some success with a squirrel trap, but it had to return to it's
rightful owner. Redistribution of the "I eat anything you leave lying
around" rodents was working quite well..... Until they bred and now we
have
a few too many. Shooting them is my neighbours resolution, but I don't
want
to sit on a rotating stool doing Japser Carrot impressions late into the
night.

Local council aren't too bothered as we are adjacent to a farm and it's
the
"norm" around these parts generally.

It's the norm everywhere. If you don't like wildlife, go and live in a
top floor flat with a window box.

Firstly if you actually read the OP properly you'll notice I *do* care
about
wildlife, which is why I was requesting a different approach to reducing
the
problem,
Secondly I have already lived in a flat with a window box, which was
attacked by mice and birds resulting an a box devoid of anything growing.
Therefore BTDTGTTS.
Thirdly, your signature at the bottom of your post is too long, full of
unnecessary information and will now, as requested in the same you'll
enter
my killfile during the next week or so when/if I can be bothered to read
your drivel again.

Walk like a prat, sound like a prat.............

*plonk*

Old 13-02-2007, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.environment.conservation,uk.business.agriculture

Default Living in Harmony With Nature

"Derek.Moody" wrote in message
In article , Derek Moody
wrote:

Nothing. Pete the troll is forging posts in my name.

Living in Harmony With Nature

And he's cut-and-pasting someone else's work without bothering about
copyrights.

Cheerio,

--

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I had someone forging my sig
once and giving me publicity to my causes :-))

One does this when they have an identity problem of their own and a sincere
wish to be the person they are imitating :-))

Take it as a compliment.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 13-02-2007, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi,

We all put rat poison into pieces of plastic drain pipes (with a block on
the top to keep it in place), to prevent the poison getting washed away -
and spare other vermin while we are at it.

Cheers,

Keith

Old 13-02-2007, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete (.¿.)" wrote in message

Re. rats

It's the norm everywhere. If you don't like wildlife, go and live in a
top floor flat with a window box.

Hi Pete,

The Brown Rat (Rattus norvegicus) is not an indigenous part of the British
fauna - introduced 'by' man, and vermin... that's coming from someone who
has lived in the country for fifty years, promotes conservation and if it
makes any odds, disagrees with hunting with hounds.

'Farming facts!!!!!' ;-)

Best wishes,

Keith

Old 13-02-2007, 10:31 AM posted to uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:58:15 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:07:03 +0000, wrote:

Squirrels
Mice and Rats
rodents is to make your home inhospitable to them by locking away all
food in glass, metal, ceramic or plastic containers (mice can climb,

Live-trapping and releasing mice outdoors should be used as a last
resort doing so can endanger the lives of animals who are stressed

Absolutely right!

Apart from Squirrels. Any grey squirrel that shows it face within 10
miles of here will prompt me to get a gun and shoot the thing. Saw a Red
Squirrel on the garden wall the other morning.

Was it stuffed like you?

And plastic containers suitable for keeping rats and mice off food, no
chance they'll gnaw through it as if it wasn't there. Rats can get
through metal, given time.

Keep yourself, and your home clean and tidy, they'll have no interest
in you. Live in a ******** and you're prime target.

Also releasing of vermin (rats, mice, squirrels) on anothers property is
illegal. You can release on your own but they will be back in before you
are.

See above pongo!

--

Disclaimer

Pete has taken all reasonable care to ensure that pages published by him
were accurate on the date of publication or last modification.
Other pages which may be linked or which Pete may have published are in
a personal capacity. Pete takes no responsibility for the consequences
of error or for any loss or damage suffered by users of any of the information
published on any of these pages, and such information does not form any
basis of a contract with readers or users of it.

It is in the nature of Usenet & Web sites, that much of the information is
experimental or constantly changing, that information published may
be for test purposes only, may be out of date, or may be the personal
opinion of the author.
Readers should verify information gained from the Web/Usenet with the appropriate
authorities before relying on it.

Should you no longer wish to read this material or content, please use your
newsreaders kill filter.
Old 13-02-2007, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:27:39 -0000, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:

"Pete (.¿.)" wrote in message
.. .

Re. rats

It's the norm everywhere. If you don't like wildlife, go and live in a
top floor flat with a window box.

Hi Pete,

The Brown Rat (Rattus norvegicus) is not an indigenous part of the British
fauna -
introduced 'by' man, and vermin... that's coming from someone who
has lived in the country for fifty years, promotes conservation and if it
makes any odds, disagrees with hunting with hounds.

Just another CONservation hooligan. Nazi style principles, lack
principle.

It's a shame people like you have turned conservation into a joke!

Old 13-02-2007, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Robbo" writes:
| Anyone in URG had any success in eradicating dear old Roland Rat from
their
| garden *without* resorting to rodenticide?
|
| There are several cats in my area and I *really* don't want a knock on
| effect of Rat poison if they get to a carcass etc.
| I also have a dog, who's naturally inquisitive about "roadkill" and the
like
| so I am looking for a more humane way of despatching these little
buggers
| before the veg patch gets it's first seedlings soon.

Arsenic is no longer legal for use as a rat poison in this country,
and even phosphorus did not usually contaminate the rat carcases
enough to harm predators. I have never heard of the modern poisons
(legal in the UK) doing so.

Warfarin was used as rat poison and after use could be still present in
relative new carcasses, this causes bleeding teeth in cats and unless
vitamin K is given very early only 1 outcome likely.
Not so sure of more recent domestic poisons, but roland has to ingest at
least 20 per cent of his/her body weight to be fully effective

regards
Cineman

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.