Old 26-03-2003, 04:56 AM
Anna Merchant

Default Young tomato plants/ONE UPSIDE DOWN

I'm growing a tomato hydroponically, and want to train some "branches" to go
horizontal instead of upright, but dont have anything to tie them to. I saw
on a garden show the use of weights on fruit tree branches to shape them.
I've put some on my tomato plant to see if it will work. Anyone think it
will ?

--
Anna Merchant

http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz
If electricity comes from electrons, does that mean that morality comes from
morons?

"NewsUser" wrote in message
I saw this technique mentioned in a gardening magazine a few months back.
Thought I'd give it a try myself.

karen

Well......I'll let you know! If it actually bears fruit, i can't see
it growing UP at all from the weight.

Just for giggles, I am issuing a Prediction:

The tomato plant will bend horizontally in the direction of the best
light (south if both the east and west are not shaded) and grow toward
the edge of the bucket. When it reaches the edge it will turn upward

and
grow.

All assuming that you keep it watered and it doesn't freeze.

If it survives long enough it may put out suckers near the hole and you
will have several stems growing up the side of the bucket. However, the
suckers are mechanically weak at the joint to the stem so they may

break
off when they get heavy enough.

jammer