Old 14-02-2007, 09:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
P Alves P Alves is offline

Default Newbie

Hi,

Nice to see a forum dedicated to roses!!!

I just planted my first roses. Some I bought rooted (bare or with soil) and
they seem to be fine. But I also planted a few (quite a lot to be honest!)
cuttings that someone passed to me. The sucees rate of the cuttings seems to
be around 40% and lets hope it does not drop.

I heard that cuttings are not the best way to propagate roses because they
tend to degenerate and not look like its parent. Is this true? If the
problem is there but not very severe (i am not going to be in official
competitions!) is there any way of improving success rate? What is the best
way to propagate those roses that you really love?

I think grafting is a good solution, but I do not think I have the skills
) but I can learn!

Thanks! I might be a newbie in planting roses, but not in loving them!

Zone 9.