Old 15-02-2007, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Jeffrey L. Kline Jeffrey L. Kline is offline

Default Newbie

Welcome aboard

Check-out my posting on own-root and grafted roses. I've done both and I
can tell you, grafting has its own set of problems. If you are really
interested, check out Steve Singer's website
http://www.wiroses.com/index.php He sells rootstock, maiden roses (freshly
grafted), as well as a video on how to do "T" bud grafting. Unless you want
to grow your own rootstock, Rosa Multiflora or Dr. Huey are the two most
popular, it may be just as cheap to buy mature plants from the nursery. I
find if I look around after the spring rush, I can find really good deals,
often paying much less than $10 for very nice plants.

I agree with Gail about own root. I keep mine, (which of course are only
started from roses that are off-patent ;) ) in the bag for at least 6
weeks, or until they have a very well developed root system to reduce the
risk of desiccation. As I live in the icy north, I winter mine over inside,
take them outdoors in a protected area in April and then plant them in late
May, after they have toughened up a bit and the risk of frost as passed.

Good luck with your new obsession. They can be a source of great pleasure
as well as frustration. But then, if you wanted easy, you'd be growing
dandy lions.

Jeff Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"P Alves" alves###paulo@gmail#com wrote in message
Hi,

Nice to see a forum dedicated to roses!!!

I just planted my first roses. Some I bought rooted (bare or with soil)
and they seem to be fine. But I also planted a few (quite a lot to be
honest!) cuttings that someone passed to me. The sucees rate of the
cuttings seems to be around 40% and lets hope it does not drop.

Congrats on your new passion. It's addictive.
I've had similar success with cuttings, so you're
doing well for a newbie.

I heard that cuttings are not the best way to propagate roses because
they tend to degenerate and not look like its parent. Is this true?

It really depends on the variety. Minis and
old garden roses, which grow on own roots
anyway, don't have that problem. Some
moderns can be propagated from cuttings,
others not. You just have to try and see
what happens.

If the
problem is there but not very severe (i am not going to be in official
competitions!) is there any way of improving success rate? What is the
best way to propagate those roses that you really love?

First, understand that most modern roses
are patented, which means you're not
supposed to propagate them. That said, I'm
not the rose police, and what you do in
your own yard is your business, not mine.
I'm just mentioning it.

Second, cuttings are very quick to dry
out. Whenever I've propagated by
cuttings I've kept the "babies" in partial
shade and spritzed them with water. Some
people make a plastic tent to keep them
damp. Check out articles on propagation
at the American Rose Society web site:
www.ars.org

You're in an even hotter zone than I am,
so keeping the cuttings from drying out is
a priority.

Third, patience is the key. I've kept
some cuttings in pots for a year before
planting in the ground, other cuttings
got planted within about 3 months. Again,
it depends on the variety.

I think grafting is a good solution, but I do not think I have the skills
) but I can learn!

Solution to...?? Roses aren't that
expensive, considering how they long
they can live.

Thanks! I might be a newbie in planting roses, but not in loving them!

Zone 9.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8