Old 16-02-2007, 12:46 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan ~ jan is offline

Default Under certain circumstances it is OK to release sick fish into stock ponds

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 20:25:46 +0000, Gill Passman wrote:

Please discuss.....

I wouldn't do it. Now if you take a crippled (fin loss), lost coloration,
or cull. I see no harm. But sick/disease is a tricky wicket. One could be
exposing the whole pond to something that can never be removed. Also, even
if a bird eats the fish right there, parasites and such can be carried on
thru their feces to other places. In a well cared for ornamental pond,
there is usually less bacteria, and either water treatments are added etc.
so a sushi meal from a well cared for pond is going to be less problematic,
then from a stock pond.

Just for our own pond's health we may want to not have the same fish types
in stock tanks near us. Just a thought, most likely impossible, but just a
thought. ~ jan