Old 16-02-2007, 04:34 AM posted to rec.ponds
Zebulon Zebulon is offline

Default Under certain circumstances it is OK to release sick fish into stock ponds

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 20:25:46 +0000, Gill Passman
wrote:

Please discuss.....

I wouldn't do it. Now if you take a crippled (fin loss), lost coloration,
or cull. I see no harm. But sick/disease is a tricky wicket.

Really? That would depend on the stock pond and fish's problem.

One could be
exposing the whole pond to something that can never be removed.

Like what? What parasite or virus survives months in a fishless pond?

Also, even
if a bird eats the fish right there, parasites and such can be carried on
thru their feces to other places.

Just like they can with ALL un-netted ponds. :-) Better get that net Jan!
You know as well as I do that there is no such thing as a pond 100% free of
"something." You have no idea what may be on your fish that's being spread
to other ponds.

In a well cared for ornamental pond,
there is usually less bacteria, and either water treatments are added etc.
so a sushi meal from a well cared for pond is going to be less
problematic,
then from a stock pond.

Why less bacteria and what hard would bacteria do wildlife well equipped to
deal with native bacteria? There may well be fish with worse diseases in an
ornamental pond (spring viremia anyone? How about contagious ulcers?) than
some man-made farm pond. So you see why it's so important for YOU and
everyone else to net their ponds - right? I never saw any type of disease
in the wild here in 25 years - I did see assorted disease and parasites in
ornamental ponds.

Just for our own pond's health we may want to not have the same fish types
in stock tanks near us. Just a thought, most likely impossible, but just a
thought. ~ jan

To protect nature from any diseases our ornamental fish are bring in (from
all over the world) I know you agree all ponds should be netted to keep out
herons large enough to carry fish from our ponds and drop them in nearby
rivers and lakes. You can recommend ACE as the place for netting. They can
get you any size you need.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.