Old 16-02-2007, 06:12 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan ~ jan is offline

Default Under certain circumstances it is OK to release sick fish into stock ponds

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:34:11 -0600, Zëbulon wrote:

Like what? What parasite or virus survives months in a fishless pond?

The life of SVC living in mud has been documented to 6 months and currently
they're claiming that isn't a for sure bet that it is only 6. KHV is
unknown.

You have no idea what may be on your fish that's being spread
to other ponds.

You're right, but so far I haven't lost a koi with my scarecrow and various
other deterrents. I plan something else for the lily pond this year, as I
apparently had a kingfish nipping them off one by one last year.

I never saw any type of disease in the wild here in 25 years -

I see plenty of dead carp on the banks of the river, every time I've taken
a stroll down there. Do you go walk your waterways, ever? You say you have
Great Blue Heron in your area, but have never seen one of those either. So
you have to see to believe?

To protect nature from any diseases our ornamental fish are bring in (from
all over the world) I know you agree all ponds should be netted to keep out
herons large enough to carry fish from our ponds and drop them in nearby
rivers and lakes. You can recommend ACE as the place for netting. They can
get you any size you need.

I guess you'll stop stocking the local stock ponds... or buying enough
netting to cover them too? ~ jan