Old 16-02-2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.ponds
Zebulon Zebulon is offline

Default Under certain circumstances it is OK to release sick fish into stock ponds

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:34:11 -0600, Zëbulon
wrote:

Like what? What parasite or virus survives months in a fishless pond?

The life of SVC living in mud has been documented to 6 months and
currently
they're claiming that isn't a for sure bet that it is only 6. KHV is
unknown.

Well we don't have that problem here. I never even heard of a case of that
in my area.

You have no idea what may be on your fish that's being spread
to other ponds.

You're right, but so far I haven't lost a koi with my scarecrow and
various
other deterrents. I plan something else for the lily pond this year, as I
apparently had a kingfish nipping them off one by one last year.

We have Kingfishers here. Nothing works but a net. My neighbors found that
out. They recently had to replace the net thanks to several birds going
right through it! No fish were lost but releasing the birds was a major PIA
he said.

I never saw any type of disease in the wild here in 25 years -

I see plenty of dead carp on the banks of the river, every time I've taken
a stroll down there. Do you go walk your waterways, ever?

Yes. I live right my Percy Priest lake. I can walk there. So far I only saw
one dead half eaten fish on the bank.

You say you have
Great Blue Heron in your area, but have never seen one of those either. So
you have to see to believe?

No - YOU said they're all over the USA. I didn't say that. I said we may
have them here, then but I never saw them.

To protect nature from any diseases our ornamental fish are bring in (from
all over the world) I know you agree all ponds should be netted to keep
out
herons large enough to carry fish from our ponds and drop them in nearby
rivers and lakes. You can recommend ACE as the place for netting. They
can
get you any size you need.

I guess you'll stop stocking the local stock ponds... or buying enough
netting to cover them too? ~ jan

Why should I? I'm not the one worried about it, you are. I'm more concerned
about the illegal shooting of herons by ornamental pond owners, and illegal
poaching then a extremely rare great blue Heron suddenly showing up out of
the blue to carry off culls to some waterway.

Some people with stock ponds here buy cheap feeders (and we know how they're
diseased) and put them in their stock tanks and ponds for mosquito control.
Shall we pass a law to stop this practice least a big Heron start carrying
them around and possibly drop them in some natural waterway?
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.