Old 17-02-2007, 01:30 PM
restrorob restrorob is offline
Registered User

Location: Hole in the woods,Florida. USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmsys View Post
UPDATE

I checked the belt layout and it was threaded correctly.

I ran the tractor around a bit, perhaps a half hour or so. It now
appears that the belt is OK when idling although I am keeping an eye
on it. I think it is possible that because the belt was in a box for a
while, it had taken a set and needed some run time to 'break in".

Chris

Check your front engine stack pulley for any rust pits or rubber glazing, This will cause a belt to smoke and wear a flat spot in it when left idling with the parking brake applied.
Also while it may not be advisable but disconnecting the seat switch and letting the engine idle in neutral with the clutch out will prolong belt life. Remember even with a smooth clean pulley it's constantly rubbing the belt with the clutch in and will cause a flat spot if left idling too long.
__________________
15 yr. Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
Kohler Factory Trained
Tecumsea
Honda
Kawasaki