Old 17-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Gavlor Gavlor is offline
Registered User

Default Should I use a contractor to lay new lawn?

Hi,

First time poster so please be gentle with me!

I am looking to replace the lawn for my back garden. Currently it looks like a building site and the grass that is there at the moment is wrecked as a result of the building equipment/materials that have been on the lawn for the past few months. Also the lawn is not even.

It is approx 4m x 11m in size.

I have recently got a quote from a landscaper to rip up the existing lawn and lay a new lawn (ensuring the new lawn is level). The quote included a separate prices for Regal grass and Xeris grass (I will likely go for the Xeris grass) and obviously all the preparation of the soil, removal of existing lawn etc.

I don't mind a bit of hard work, but what I am after is whether people think that it is worth paying a contractor for this kind of job or whether it is something that a relatively inexperienced gardener (i.e. me) could perform?

I appreciate that paying a lot of money for a good quality lawn is only worthwhile if the ground is prepared properly and the lawn is laid correctly.

The quote was £700+, of which £360 was 2 days labour. So if I did the hard work myself, that would cut the price in half.

Your views on whether contractor would be best idea (taking into account the cost) would be appreciated.

Gavlor