Old 17-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Registered User

Default Should I use a contractor to lay new lawn?

Hi,

First time poster so please be gentle with me!

I am looking to replace the lawn for my back garden. Currently it looks like a building site and the grass that is there at the moment is wrecked as a result of the building equipment/materials that have been on the lawn for the past few months. Also the lawn is not even.

It is approx 4m x 11m in size.

I have recently got a quote from a landscaper to rip up the existing lawn and lay a new lawn (ensuring the new lawn is level). The quote included a separate prices for Regal grass and Xeris grass (I will likely go for the Xeris grass) and obviously all the preparation of the soil, removal of existing lawn etc.

I don't mind a bit of hard work, but what I am after is whether people think that it is worth paying a contractor for this kind of job or whether it is something that a relatively inexperienced gardener (i.e. me) could perform?

I appreciate that paying a lot of money for a good quality lawn is only worthwhile if the ground is prepared properly and the lawn is laid correctly.

The quote was £700+, of which £360 was 2 days labour. So if I did the hard work myself, that would cut the price in half.

Your views on whether contractor would be best idea (taking into account the cost) would be appreciated.

Gavlor
Old 19-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavlor View Post
[...]

Hi Gavlor

I think if you are the type of person that is a good do it yourself guy you should be able to Do it no problem but it will be very hard work as you will need a Turf Cutter,Rotavator, Skip, Shovel and Rake, Wheel Barrow and a Good Strong back.
As this if done right is a one off investment and is worth the investment but i must say 2 days to do 44 sqr mtrs is a long time for this work i should know as i run a Landscape Company i would look for my team to do this in a Day and would charge approx £500. + Vat.
Anyway Good luck
Charles White
www.everythingforthegarden.co.uk
Old 19-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Registered User

Thanks for replying Charles.

Out of interest, how many people from your team would it take to get it done in a day?

I don't mind having a crack myself, but don't want it to take more than a weekend of graft.

Gavlor