Old 26-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Shumway orders, anyone?

Glenna Rose said:

I've always purchased seeds locally and not by mail. Is it common to wait
several weeks before your merchandise is even shipped?

A lot depends on when you order. Ordering in early January is usually faster than
ordering in February or March from just about anybody. If a catalog shows them
going to extended hours for phone orders at some date, that's a clue for when they
get *really* busy. Order *before* that date.

Ordering with a credit card is faster than by check. I prefer to order by phone
(even if they don't have a toll-free number -- I've got pretty cheap long distance
rates). It saves time in the turn-around (and less chance of error).

Shumway's is associated with Seymour's and Vermont Bean Seed. In my
experience, ok but not necessarily top notch. Territorial, Johnny's, Pinetree
are all great. Stokes is also top notch, and quick as long as you order early.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)