Old 17-02-2007, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Keith Kent Keith Kent is offline

Default sick cymbidium pics

"SuE" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:05:08 -0500, gerald wrote:

It is in the house, as I am in Washington dc. temps this month have
been in the low teens all month(F). Plenty of room in the middle to
throw water and avoid the leaves. I use a wet meter to check
dampness. it is definitely time to repot this guy.

thank you for your interest and reply

Cym are heavy feeders while in flower and until late summer. DO NOT
feed them in the fall. Some friends potted in 50% well composted
manure and 50% older mix.. the stuff that got soggy in the potting bin
and is not good enough for fussy plants. This way he did not have to
feed the plant. They sometimes will sulk if potted too late in the
year.

I agree the first spike looks rotted (moisture damage), the second
appears to me more mechanical as if assisted too much out of the
leaves. It may or may not complete the season. You did not say if
this was a pale flower. Take the rotting bulbs out of the center when
you repot. Some appeared to be on the verge.

Generally once the heavy growth that is a spike appears it is just a
matter of protecting that from severe weather (yes, bring it in at 40
or even below 55). Your plant has not had time in the ground to
acclimate as a garden planted cym would in CA. Protect it also from
manipulation - (don't try to peak, poke or pinch). Protect it from
pests (are those white specks below the spike in photo xx11 & xx12
bugs or water reflections?) and water in the whorl of leaves.

Good luck. These beauties are tricky to bloom well when you can not
put them out and let them naturalize.

SuE

I agree,water in the leaves or crowns of the bulbs is a big problem.So very
careful watering is needed.Mine goes outside when the risk of frost has
passed,so learning from last year similar problems to you they will still go
outside but with some sort of cover over them.
Thanks Keith