Old 26-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Stephen Howard

Default Planting under an apple tree

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:32:39 -0000, "Dave Henson"
wrote:

Hi

I have a medium sized Bramley apple tree at the end of my garden and I'd
like to plant underneath and around it. I have a few questions:

Is the tree likely to hinder the growth of the plants?
Are there certain plants that would be better suited to this situation?
Would the soil need to be treated in any particular way?

I have a mature Bramley, with it's base in a shaded spot, and judging
from the weeds ( and an Elder tree ) growing there I'd say that
chances are good that things will grow - though if the base is exposed
you may need to consider watering regularly.
I wondered whether the tree would suck all the nutrients and water out
of the soil - but I'd imagine the roots feed somewhat further out.

I tried growing a Clematis Montana Elizabeth up it, but it failed -
though probably due to being boffed with a football in its first year.
Got a nice selection of bulbs growing there too...daffs, bluebells
etc, and what appears to be a climbing St.John's Wort ( don't know
where it came from ).

I chuck a handful of fertilizer round the base in the spring, just to
pep things up a bit.

Apple drop will demolish any fragile plants later in the year, so bear
that in mind when selecting.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk