Old 26-03-2003, 12:20 PM
jane

Default Planting under an apple tree

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:54:13 +0000, Stephen Howard
wrote:

~On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:32:39 -0000, "Dave Henson"
wrote:
~
~Hi
~
~I have a medium sized Bramley apple tree at the end of my garden and I'd
~like to plant underneath and around it. I have a few questions:
~
~Is the tree likely to hinder the growth of the plants?
~Are there certain plants that would be better suited to this situation?
~Would the soil need to be treated in any particular way?
~
~I have a mature Bramley, with it's base in a shaded spot, and judging
~from the weeds ( and an Elder tree ) growing there I'd say that
~chances are good that things will grow - though if the base is exposed
~you may need to consider watering regularly.
~I wondered whether the tree would suck all the nutrients and water out
~of the soil - but I'd imagine the roots feed somewhat further out.
~
~I tried growing a Clematis Montana Elizabeth up it, but it failed -
~though probably due to being boffed with a football in its first year.
~Got a nice selection of bulbs growing there too...daffs, bluebells
~etc, and what appears to be a climbing St.John's Wort ( don't know
~where it came from ).
~
~I chuck a handful of fertilizer round the base in the spring, just to
~pep things up a bit.

snap!
I too have a large mature Bramley, surrounded by fruit bushes (at the edge
of the branch range) and it is currently a picture with tulips, daffodils
and croci underneath. I treat the soil as per fruit, ie it just had a load
of sulphate of potash scattered about in the last few days. It is in a very
open position at the allotment, so does get sun.
~
~Apple drop will demolish any fragile plants later in the year, so bear
~that in mind when selecting.

This is why I have soft fruit (blackcurrants, mostly) and bulbs - they are
out of the way by late summer and don't lose their own fruit or flowers.

And Bramleys do have rather large apples!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!