Old 18-02-2007, 02:47 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible
Julia Altshuler Julia Altshuler is offline

Default Orange rinds

I'd always thought that California oranges, primarily for eating, were
the pretty ones, and Florida oranges, primarily for juicing, were the
ones with uneven color and green shades. I'd never heard it had
anything to do with dyes. And if there is something cancer-causing or
possibly cancer-causing in something they put on the outside of an
orange, with the laws as strict as they are in California, wouldn't
there be warnings all over?

A fairly distinct line between green and orange on a Florida orange
could be caused by the way the sun hits the orange as it ripens.

--Lia