Old 17-02-2007, 08:14 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

Default Orange rinds

Dawn wrote:

I save orange rinds from time to time, cook them in simple syrup, and
dry them for use in baking. A little chopped candied orange is amazing
in cookies and cake, and it's much cheaper to make your own than buy it.

Two questions:
1) How long can you keep orange rinds in the refrigerator before
using them?

2) How do you get the pith off the inside of the rind?

I peel lemons to use the zest of the rind for making Limoncello
and then press the lemons for the juice. So I am leaving the
pith on the fruit.

Dick
Old 17-02-2007, 01:01 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

This may have been mentioned earlier. I don't have time to read this
whole string. When I see people grate orange and lemon peel, I get
concerned if the peel looks perfect. These perfect looking fruits are
usually sprayed with coal tar (cancer causing) dyes. They are used
legally here because it's assumed that no one eats the skins of citrus
fruits.

If you're going for flavor, pick orange that were naturally ripened
and have some green and uneveness to the color of the skin, or else
you're eating a paint job.

Old 17-02-2007, 04:42 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 08:14:59 -0000, a day that will live in infamy, Dick
Adams stood on a soapbox and proclaimed:
awn wrote:
:
: I save orange rinds from time to time, cook them in simple syrup, and
: dry them for use in baking. A little chopped candied orange is amazing
: in cookies and cake, and it's much cheaper to make your own than buy it.
:
If you happen to have a garbage disposal in your sink, grinding up
citrus peels in it will (a) help clean the grease & muck off the blades,
and (b) make the sink smell delicious!

--
RivahCat ^..^
"IN BAST WE TRUST"

Old 17-02-2007, 05:29 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Dawn wrote:

I save orange rinds from time to time, cook them in simple syrup, and
dry them for use in baking. A little chopped candied orange is amazing
in cookies and cake, and it's much cheaper to make your own than buy it.

Two questions:
1) How long can you keep orange rinds in the refrigerator before
using them?

You could keep dry rinds, orange or otherwise, and no need for refrigeration
for decades.

Old 17-02-2007, 08:35 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

"Dick Adams" wrote in message

2) How do you get the pith off the inside of the rind?

Easy way is to remove the outer layer of the peel with either a sharp knife
or a citrus tool. (A cheap little gizmo that is designed for pealing and
de-zesting citrus.) You want to slice deep enough that you do not cut
through the oil sacks on the outer rind. Best done before the peel is
removed from the orange.

--
Roger Shoaf

Old 18-02-2007, 01:21 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

KIMOSABE wrote:
This may have been mentioned earlier. I don't have time to read this
whole string. When I see people grate orange and lemon peel, I get
concerned if the peel looks perfect. These perfect looking fruits are
usually sprayed with coal tar (cancer causing) dyes. They are used
legally here because it's assumed that no one eats the skins of citrus
fruits.

This is why a rational person scrubs their citrus with steel wool,
then thoroughly washs then, and finally wipes them clean with alcohol.
We all know the problems of pesticdes.
Old 18-02-2007, 02:24 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

KIMOSABE wrote:

This may have been mentioned earlier. I don't have time to read this
whole string. When I see people grate orange and lemon peel, I get
concerned if the peel looks perfect. These perfect looking fruits are
usually sprayed with coal tar (cancer causing) dyes. They are used
legally here because it's assumed that no one eats the skins of citrus
fruits.

If you're going for flavor, pick orange that were naturally ripened
and have some green and uneveness to the color of the skin, or else
you're eating a paint job.

My home-grown oranges have no green on them. Are you sure the dye is
poisonous? I think the ethnic markets buy "factory seconds" because the dye
jobs are frequently really bad -- the sharp line between green and orange is
a dead giveaway.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old 18-02-2007, 02:47 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

I'd always thought that California oranges, primarily for eating, were
the pretty ones, and Florida oranges, primarily for juicing, were the
ones with uneven color and green shades. I'd never heard it had
anything to do with dyes. And if there is something cancer-causing or
possibly cancer-causing in something they put on the outside of an
orange, with the laws as strict as they are in California, wouldn't
there be warnings all over?

A fairly distinct line between green and orange on a Florida orange
could be caused by the way the sun hits the orange as it ripens.

--Lia

Old 18-02-2007, 03:59 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible

KIMOSABE wrote:

This may have been mentioned earlier. I don't have time to read this
whole string. When I see people grate orange and lemon peel, I get
concerned if the peel looks perfect. These perfect looking fruits are
usually sprayed with coal tar (cancer causing) dyes. They are used
legally here because it's assumed that no one eats the skins of citrus
fruits.

Baloney. Quoting from:
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/col-221.html

"In 1960, amendments to the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act of 1938 added
the so-called Delaney anti-cancer clause to FDA's legal mandate. Among
other things, the clause prohibits marketing any color additive the
agency has found to cause cancer in animals or humans, regardless of
amount."

I've seen lots of citrus fruit on trees that could not
possibly have been artificially colored, and it looked
as good or better than the best-looking fruit I've seen
in stores.

Your assertion that "These perfect looking fruits are
usually sprayed with coal tar (cancer causing) dyes."
is totally bogus.
Old 18-02-2007, 04:06 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

OK here is the scoop on oranges. Sunkist, California's premium brand of
navel oranges do not use pesticides. There is one bug that attacks them and
that is controlled with a good bug. Occasionally the good bug leaves a
scaly patch on the orange, and this becomes a second and receives something
other than the Sunkist trademark even though the fruit is the same, just a
little less pretty.

Navel oranges also have an interesting thing happen to them. They start
out green, turn bright orange when ripe and if left on the tree they will
start to re-green. The oranges that re-green are not stamped with the
Sunkist brand but rather the second label. A little bit of re-green however
does not diminish the quality of the fruit. The farmer is gambling leaving
the fruit on the tree longer hoping the price will rise

All oranges are coated with a food grade wax that is non toxic and keeps the
fruit from drying out and keeps it looking shiny and attractive.

As far as I know no oranges are dyed.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

. ..

Old 18-02-2007, 05:58 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Roger Shoaf" wrote:

[...]

Roger, the header on your response has me a little rattled. Under
organization it says,"a proud member of teamSYIX". Could that be a typo
and really be team STYIX? If so, what kind of damnable beings do you
hang-out with?

Well, having addressed this mornings psychotic thoughts, let's move
along to the crux of the matter, namely from what font of knowledge did
you learn about Sunkist's agricultural and marketing practices? I'm not
saying that it's wrong. I just wonder whence it came.

In the last few years, I have come to suspend judgement on assertions of
fact made by people who should know i.e. make the least little hundreds
of mistakes and the next thing you know your in the middle of a war
about something that was really important, even though it (the reason)
keeps changing. You or I can make any fool assertion we want but if a
company has it in writing, under it's logo, they are held responsible
for it. As for the underfunded and over legislated FDA, they are
hamstrung over additives unless they (the additives) kill a lot of
people, very quickly.

So what's the poop (navel oranges, navel talk:-) on your scoop?

And in conclusion, have you ever wondered what an acceptable level of
escherichia coli in your food is?

And some people want to know why I like to grow as much of my own food
as I can, pfff.

Time for my meds.

- Bill

Coloribus gustibus non disputatum
Old 18-02-2007, 10:19 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

"William Rose" wrote in message
Roger, the header on your response has me a little rattled. Under
organization it says,"a proud member of teamSYIX". Could that be a typo
and really be team STYIX? If so, what kind of damnable beings do you
hang-out with?

Syix is the name of my isp.

Well, having addressed this mornings psychotic thoughts, let's move
along to the crux of the matter, namely from what font of knowledge did
you learn about Sunkist's agricultural and marketing practices? I'm not
saying that it's wrong. I just wonder whence it came.

One of my father's high school buddies is a grower for Sunkist in southern
CA. Whan I was a lad we had a class in school where they talked about the
"good bugs" and one of the good bugs was the ones they talked about was the
one they used on the oranges. When I asked if he used the good bugs, he not
only confirmed this but took me into the orchard and showed me. He seemed
real happy to expalin the whole opperation and how the growers co-op markets
the citrus.

I learned all kinds of things like the fact that when they pick oranges they
do not pluck them from the tree, they have special pliers that look liike
wire cutters to cut the stem close to the fruit. This is done for two
reasons. First, depending on the amount grip the stem has it sometimes
pulls a chunk of the peal off the fruit, and second because the little bit
of exposed pith that could result allows the fruit to spoil prematurly.

Seems to me that this farmer's co op is serious about bringing good food to
market.

So inless things have substanttially changed in the past 30 years, that is
the source of my information.

I just surfed the Sunkist website looking to see if I could find more
information and it appears I was not completly up to date on my information.
They apperantly do use some form of pesticide, not supprizing really given
that nasty bugs like medeteranian fruit flys can kill the industry, but as
for me I am not worried. I am sure that they would be happy to answer any
direct inquiries about the saftey of their produce.

You can reach them at http://www.sunkist.com/contact/ and you also can get
one of those pealer things I mentioned.

Old 22-02-2007, 12:49 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible

"Roger Shoaf" in
:

"William Rose" wrote in message

One of my father's high school buddies is a grower for Sunkist in
southern CA. Whan I was a lad we had a class in school where they
talked about the
"good bugs" and one of the good bugs was the ones they talked about
was the
one they used on the oranges. When I asked if he used the good
bugs, he not only confirmed this but took me into the orchard and
showed me. He seemed real happy to expalin the whole opperation
and how the growers co-op markets the citrus.

http://images.google.com/images?q=citrus+rust+mite+

http://www.google.com/search?q=citrus+rust+predator++

citrus has uncommon phenomenon among fruit regarding (rind) color:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%7Eci...+colorati on+
http://lib.ucr.edu/agnic/webber/Vol1/Chapter4.html
[snip]
color is markedly affected by the temperature regime during the ripening period and thereafter. Maximum color intensity
develops when the fruit is subjected to considerable chilling—normally the result of cold nights. In arid, subtropical
climates, this is assured by the prevalent cool nights (associated with the wide diurnal fluctuations in temperature) which
characterize the fall and winter months. Primarily because of warmer nights (associated with small diurnal temperature
variations), color development in semitropical climates is much slower and the intensity ultimately attained considerably
lower, with the possible exception of some of the mandarins, notably Dancy tangerine.
Other fruit characters materially affected by atmospheric humidity during the growing season include rind surface,
thickness, texture and adherence, texture of the flesh (juice vesicles and carpellary membranes), and juice content. Thus,
in semitropical regions such as Florida, the rind is smoother, thinner, softer, and more tightly adherent, the flesh and
carpellary membranes are tenderer, and the juice content is higher than in such subtropical regions as California.
Flavor is markedly influenced by the same conditions that are primarily responsible for the intensity of color
development
[snip]

i think some of the color can "revert" to green if fruit needs to ripen after the winter, so , picking season influences rind
color when sold. and different varieties ripen in different seasons.

[...]

without researching now, i think there are *other* fruit flies that are trouble in the central and east US
http://www.google.com/search?q=%7Eci...terranean+orie
ntal+mexican

less notorious:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%7Eci...7C++Rhagoletis
++minor+

the olive ff is more recent introduction.
http://www.google.com/search?q=usa+%...ntroduction+20
00+%7C+2001