Old 18-02-2007, 03:59 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Orange rinds

KIMOSABE wrote:

This may have been mentioned earlier. I don't have time to read this
whole string. When I see people grate orange and lemon peel, I get
concerned if the peel looks perfect. These perfect looking fruits are
usually sprayed with coal tar (cancer causing) dyes. They are used
legally here because it's assumed that no one eats the skins of citrus
fruits.

Baloney. Quoting from:
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/col-221.html

"In 1960, amendments to the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act of 1938 added
the so-called Delaney anti-cancer clause to FDA's legal mandate. Among
other things, the clause prohibits marketing any color additive the
agency has found to cause cancer in animals or humans, regardless of
amount."

I've seen lots of citrus fruit on trees that could not
possibly have been artificially colored, and it looked
as good or better than the best-looking fruit I've seen
in stores.

Your assertion that "These perfect looking fruits are
usually sprayed with coal tar (cancer causing) dyes."
is totally bogus.