Old 18-02-2007, 02:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko Srgnt Billko is offline

Default Tractor Tire Ply question

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm needing to replace my zero turn tires this spring. Calling my
tractor dealer tires start at $110 each, ouch. So I started searching
and found tires of the same size (23x10.5-12) from $50-70ea both
localy from other dealers and from the 'net (plus shipping of course).
A question that arose from this search is number of ply's. We have
about 10 acres we mow, and it seems once a month or so we're needing
to repair a flat tire, from an unseen piece of metal, sharp stick,
etc. Is it worth the extra money (about $10 ea + shipping ~$20-30set)
for a 6ply vs a 2 or 4ply found locally? Will an extra ply have much
more puncture resistance? Obviously something like a nail is going in
no matter what, but in general.
Thanks.

The only time I've paid attention to "ply" was when I was going to use the
equipment for very heavy loads. I can't picture you loading up a mower very
heavy unless you are seriously overweight.