Old 18-02-2007, 11:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Tractor Tire Ply question

I'm needing to replace my zero turn tires this spring. Calling my
tractor dealer tires start at $110 each, ouch. So I started searching
and found tires of the same size (23x10.5-12) from $50-70ea both
localy from other dealers and from the 'net (plus shipping of course).
A question that arose from this search is number of ply's. We have
about 10 acres we mow, and it seems once a month or so we're needing
to repair a flat tire, from an unseen piece of metal, sharp stick,
etc. Is it worth the extra money (about $10 ea + shipping ~$20-30set)
for a 6ply vs a 2 or 4ply found locally? Will an extra ply have much
more puncture resistance? Obviously something like a nail is going in
no matter what, but in general.

Thanks.

Old 18-02-2007, 02:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm needing to replace my zero turn tires this spring. Calling my
tractor dealer tires start at $110 each, ouch. So I started searching
and found tires of the same size (23x10.5-12) from $50-70ea both
localy from other dealers and from the 'net (plus shipping of course).
A question that arose from this search is number of ply's. We have
about 10 acres we mow, and it seems once a month or so we're needing
to repair a flat tire, from an unseen piece of metal, sharp stick,
etc. Is it worth the extra money (about $10 ea + shipping ~$20-30set)
for a 6ply vs a 2 or 4ply found locally? Will an extra ply have much
more puncture resistance? Obviously something like a nail is going in
no matter what, but in general.
Thanks.

The only time I've paid attention to "ply" was when I was going to use the
equipment for very heavy loads. I can't picture you loading up a mower very
heavy unless you are seriously overweight.

Old 18-02-2007, 04:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 18, 8:12 am, Art wrote:
wrote:
I'm needing to replace my zero turn tires this spring. Calling my
tractor dealer tires start at $110 each, ouch. So I started searching
and found tires of the same size (23x10.5-12) from $50-70ea both
localy from other dealers and from the 'net (plus shipping of course).
A question that arose from this search is number of ply's. We have
about 10 acres we mow, and it seems once a month or so we're needing
to repair a flat tire, from an unseen piece of metal, sharp stick,
etc. Is it worth the extra money (about $10 ea + shipping ~$20-30set)
for a 6ply vs a 2 or 4ply found locally? Will an extra ply have much
more puncture resistance? Obviously something like a nail is going in
no matter what, but in general.

Thanks.

No, the number of ply is not going to make a difference to punctures.
Check the mower manual for the weight and if it does not exceed the 2ply
rating then go with the 2ply, you won't notice any difference.

If you are having that many flats you should check into having the tires
foam filled.

--
Art- Hide quoted text -

Thanks! That's a relief, now I know I can go with the best price
around town!

Old 18-02-2007, 08:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 18, 8:12 am, Art wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Art had a good point - why aren't you just putting foam in your existing
tires ?

Old 19-02-2007, 05:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

If you are having that many flats you should check into having the tires
foam filled.

I think I will. After a quick google search, it seems this is
something that has to be done at a shop, not a DIY project. Are there
DIY options out there? If not, whats an aproximate price for a tire of
this size? (23x10.5-12) Obviously easily worth $50-70/tire as thats
the going rate for a replacement, and this would obviously last much
longer. Currently both tires are flat, but have very good tread on
them, would it be possible to fill these, or do I need to buy new ones
to fill?

Thanks for the info!
Bryan

Old 21-02-2007, 04:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Art wrote:
wrote:
A question that arose from this search is number of ply's. We have
about 10 acres we mow, and it seems once a month or so we're needing
to repair a flat tire, from an unseen piece of metal, sharp stick,
etc.

If you are having that many flats you should check into having the tires
foam filled.

If he's having that many flats, he should investigate getting some
sheep!

BTH

Old 21-02-2007, 01:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"BT Humble" wrote in message
ups.com...

If he's having that many flats, he should investigate getting some
sheep!

are they good at fixing flats?

Old 22-02-2007, 08:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"BT Humble" wrote in message
ups.com...
Art wrote:
wrote:
A question that arose from this search is number of ply's. We have
about 10 acres we mow, and it seems once a month or so we're needing
to repair a flat tire, from an unseen piece of metal, sharp stick,
etc.

If you are having that many flats you should check into having the
tires
foam filled.

If he's having that many flats, he should investigate getting some
sheep!

Fir the tires that I have had flats with, I just had them install a tube
within it. Never got a flat again in that tire, and I have them in 3 out
of the 4 tires so far (with a slow leak now in the 4th tire). Here we
have these evil multiflora rose Devil's tentacles rising up out of the
ground that get really piercing when they dry out. They are long enough
to pierce a tire, but not long enough to pierce a tire and a tube.
Tomes

Old 23-02-2007, 09:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

AlarmCoJoe wrote:
"BT Humble" wrote in message
If he's having that many flats, he should investigate getting some
sheep!

are they good at fixing flats?

Nah, but they're tasty. ;-)

Seriously though, why mow 10 acres? Unless you're making hay, it
sounds like making work for yourself! ;-)

BTH
(Family motto: "There has to be an easier way!")