Old 18-02-2007, 10:19 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Orange rinds

"William Rose" wrote in message
Roger, the header on your response has me a little rattled. Under
organization it says,"a proud member of teamSYIX". Could that be a typo
and really be team STYIX? If so, what kind of damnable beings do you
hang-out with?

Syix is the name of my isp.

Well, having addressed this mornings psychotic thoughts, let's move
along to the crux of the matter, namely from what font of knowledge did
you learn about Sunkist's agricultural and marketing practices? I'm not
saying that it's wrong. I just wonder whence it came.

One of my father's high school buddies is a grower for Sunkist in southern
CA. Whan I was a lad we had a class in school where they talked about the
"good bugs" and one of the good bugs was the ones they talked about was the
one they used on the oranges. When I asked if he used the good bugs, he not
only confirmed this but took me into the orchard and showed me. He seemed
real happy to expalin the whole opperation and how the growers co-op markets
the citrus.

I learned all kinds of things like the fact that when they pick oranges they
do not pluck them from the tree, they have special pliers that look liike
wire cutters to cut the stem close to the fruit. This is done for two
reasons. First, depending on the amount grip the stem has it sometimes
pulls a chunk of the peal off the fruit, and second because the little bit
of exposed pith that could result allows the fruit to spoil prematurly.

Seems to me that this farmer's co op is serious about bringing good food to
market.

So inless things have substanttially changed in the past 30 years, that is
the source of my information.

I just surfed the Sunkist website looking to see if I could find more
information and it appears I was not completly up to date on my information.
They apperantly do use some form of pesticide, not supprizing really given
that nasty bugs like medeteranian fruit flys can kill the industry, but as
for me I am not worried. I am sure that they would be happy to answer any
direct inquiries about the saftey of their produce.

You can reach them at http://www.sunkist.com/contact/ and you also can get
one of those pealer things I mentioned.

--

Roger Shoaf