Old 19-02-2007, 10:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Keith Kent Keith Kent is offline

Default OT; Aluminum frame greenhouse & frost

"Dusty" wrote in message
. 17.102...
"jtill" wrote in news:1171828780.521208.66700
@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com:

Mcmaster.com.

Thanks a lot. I'm going to try that if the weather ever warms up again.

Grow well and bloom magnificently

Hi Dusty, i think no matter how well insulated a greenhouse is ,unheated
you will always get a touch of frost inside.Especially when there are long
periods of cold weather ,the same would apply to any dwelling if left
unheated.All you can do is reduce the heatloss so the extremes are not so
great so you can maintain the min temp you require.In my ali greenhouse i
used 6ft by 3ft by 1 inch thick polystyrene insulation panels for the lower
half to just above bench height,the rest of the glass is insulated with
greenhouse bubble wrap which is thicker than the normal stuff and the air
bubbles are bigger giving better insulation.You can get fixings for doing
this for a ali greenhouse.I can keep the min temp i require which is around
60f ,without this it was impossible and costly.(it is still costly
however)!Also on the outside lower 4ft i used wooden fence panels to clad
,mainly to protect damage from the glass.I would advise anyone IF growing
orchids not to use a aluminium greenhouse,mine will soon be used for general
use not orchids.But growing orchids is a progression which does grab you and
from talking to other orchid growers no matter what size/type of greenhouse
they have are not fully happy and will soon fill to the rafters!
Thanks Keith