Old 20-02-2007, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd Kenni Judd is offline

Default Stop me before I buy more

K -- We have a couple customers who take orchids on extended boat trips. No
reports of salt damage (although I do try to steer them away from Paphs).

In the wild, I've seen Schombos growing happily on palm trees hanging out
over the ocean; some of them I'm sure get wet when seas are rough. And many
other central american species growing not too much further away from the
shore. Kenni

"K Barrett" wrote in message
So where do you keep these on a boat? (Enquiring minds want to know)

Do you worry that any salt spray will wreck the roots?

K Barrett

"Robert Lorenzini" wrote in message

We bought 11 more miniatures from Andy last weekend at the
OC show. What was once a classic sailboat is now a green
house. Mon. am I noticed a strong sweet perfume
smell and looking around I found it was coming from the
Tuberolabium (Saccolablum) odoratissimum which bloomed
all 30-40 flowers at once. By noon each day the fragrance
is gone but this is really cool. I can see now that
the potted plants will have to go to make room for a
lot more mounted species.

Bob