Old 21-02-2007, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd Kenni Judd is offline

Default Stop me before I buy more

K: I have no doubt that Jay's orchids sustained a lot of damage, but it's a
whole different situation. Where he's located (here, too, if a roof fails),
a direct hurricane hit would dump A LOT of salt water (likely also
impregnated by other nasty stuff). And if that nasty water goes into pots,
it stays there until it's flushed out ... which could take days or even
weeks, if it takes electricity to pump the water (barring a big enough
generator). Even mounts will be affected, but it's a lot easier to rinse
them off.

Salt air, or even an occasional dash of spray from rough seas, is not in the
same ballpark. Good growing, Kenni

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks Kenni. I wondered because I remember Jay Pfahl talking about the
damage to his orchids from salt water inundation during a hurricane there
in the Keys. This was years ago.