Old 22-02-2007, 09:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Dave Gillingham Dave Gillingham is offline

Default Pancake Tuesday

Final day before the commencement of Lent - a major period in the Catholic
calendar, leading up to the sacrifice of Easter - starts with Ash Wednesday.
Traditionally, I believe, this was the day you cleaned out your larder of all
the good things before commencing the period of self-denial leading to Easter.
Pancakes were a way of using up all the flour, as did the fillings for the rest
of the goodies. In times past, meat was forbidden, so savoury pancakes were
popular as well as the sweet ones.

If someone has more accurate information, please correct me.

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:08:10 -0500, tennis maynard
wrote:

Can someone tell me what this 'pancake tuesday' thing is?

Dave Gillingham