Old 23-02-2007, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jal jal is offline

Default OT Speed cameras

In article ,
"'Mike'" wrote:

"Muddymike" wrote in message

I think you miss the point. Have you never been happily driving in what
you believe to be a 40 limit only to spot a speed camera and look
franticly around for a sign confirming your belief you are indeed in a 40,
and not be able to see one.

but don't you read traffic signs and see the speed limits as and when they
change?

Especially on unknown roads and in unknown areas. :-{ ?

Crikey - where do you live? (rhetorical question) Round here
(Tyneside) almost the whole road network is subject to speed limits (and
to hidden cameras as well as stationary marked ones). The speed limits
change from 20 up to 50 - up and down, up and down - throughout. The
dual carriageways are either 40 or 50 for very long stretches. If
you're driving further than 10 miles, you completely lose track of what
speed you should be doing (and the lack of easily visible speed signs);
on the other hand, you do have to push on when you can - you can't do 20
or 30 the whole way!

I'd like to see many more illuminated "Your speed is xxMPH" associated
with the cameras.

BTW: online petitions? An extremely bad idea, and already grossly
discredited thanks to the whinging"I refuse to pay for
roads"/whinging) "petition" organised recently. [response: "well what
would you suggest instead?" Response: "oooh well ah don't know!"]

I work in a university computing service: we discussed running online,
web-based polls years and years ago, and rejected the idea. They may
give an indication of one opinion or another, but they are extremely
unreliable (and selective) in terms of genuine statistical value.

"Roses" (there's your garden content)
[maybe I should have said "bovine manure"!]