Old 23-02-2007, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
JohnS JohnS is offline

Default Small leaves on coleus

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:42:23 -0600, "JohnS" wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"JohnS" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

Have you been fertilizing it? Try Miracle Grow for acid plants.

Coleus likes acidic conditions?

So a Florest told me years ago. Yes.

Apparently so. I have cuttings originally from a 6th grade school
teacher 40 years ago. Growing well outdoors in Ohio, CA, and now in
E.TN one cutting grew over 5 feet in our clay-acidic soils with lots
of rainfall and watering. Coleus is easier grown outdoors than
indoors, but the first frost kills it quick and the game is to get a
cutting or two just before frost date for next year's planting. I
grow the cuttings in water for 2-4 months, then pot up. While growing
in water the leaves are quite small. Stronger plant grown in
vermiculite.

I grow them in a peat mix and use, every other time, Miracle Grow for acid
plants. Make much better color and growth. Other times regular Miracle Grow
or Peter's.