Old 24-02-2007, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Stapelia tips shriveling

"Jim Shaffer" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 01:31:11 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

I don't know those plants well, but my first guess would be the water.
What
is the source? Municipal water? Well water? Softened? Is it winter where
you
live? How often are you watering?

Municipal water, not softened, varies in quality but tends to be on
the hard side. It's winter, I'm watering it lightly once a week, it's
potted in a mixture of about 50% commercial potting soil and 50% sand.

Some plants are sensitive to levels of chlorine that you and I don't notice.
The best thing for house plants is to age the water in an open container for
a couple of days before using it. Chlorine will dissipate by then.

This site's got some interesting tips about avoiding fungal issues around
the stems, but not much about how to recognize the problem.
http://www.succulent-plant.com/stapelia.html

I'm betting first on the water.