Old 24-02-2007, 06:01 PM posted to rec.ponds
Reel McKoi[_2_] Reel McKoi[_2_] is offline

Default Koi Food

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:54:04 -0600, Zëbulon
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 08:28:35 -0600, Zëbulon
wrote:

Even people in the Nashville Pond Club feed the cheaper foods. That's
where
I first learned about it.

Would that be the Nashville Pond Society by chance? ~ jan

=================
More than likely. We were members at one time and made a few meetings
years
ago.

===============================
You might want to consider returning and getting an update, as even the
NPS
doesn't teach that any more. I e-mailed the AKCA contact off the AKCA
website if the NPS recommended feeding catfish or trout chow.

No one said the "Club" recommended it. I learned about it from some of the
members. Not all the members of the club were feeding the highly overpriced
koi foods.

The simple
answer I got was: "we did not do that". I also E-ed the 2 KHA's of the
club
and one of them told me she had just given a talk at a recent meeting on
koi nutrition. That would have been a good one for you to have attended,
perhaps you would have found some additional information out regarding the
food you purchased and why your fry didn't do well on it.

That's OK Jan. Thanks. The meetings are too far for us to make. I'll stick
to what works for me, what worked for years. These baby koi need to get some
size and weight on them by fall to make it through the winter. They must
also be a certain size to be salable. The majority did not reach salable
size as they did the two previous years. The only thing different was the
food. The trout and catfish chow work fine. The fry are sold the following
spring and of course go on whatever diet their new owners chose to feed
them. When someone gets fish here I tell them what I feed and also about
the koi foods and let them decide for themselves.

I know I personally don't rely on one type of food, and am not familiar
with the brand you purchased.

It was all I could find locally. Even without shipping and handling it was
over $5 a lb and we have a lot of fish.

Just because it is high priced doesn't mean
it is good. An example would be Tetra Pond $tix$, last I looked at those
corn was in the top 3 ingredients...

Ugh! I don't touch Tetra brands. For obvious reasons I wont post the name
of the food I used.

and why the fish absolutely love it.
Corn being like candy to them. I personally feed Sho Koi, Manda Fu, & Hy
Feng plus fresh veggies, like peas, duckweed & watercress. ~ jan

Excellent diet. I can't get any of those feeds locally. Along with the
trout and catfish chow they get oranges, duckweed, canned rinsed peas, live
earthworms which they love, an occasional slice of bread and some kitten
and/or puppy chow.

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.