Old 24-02-2007, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Stapelia tips shriveling

"Jim Shaffer" wrote in message
On 24 Feb 2007 10:42:06 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

All leaves or just younger or older ones?

Mostly older ones.

First thought for me when I see leaf tip death is usually salt burn.
How long has it been in the pot?

About a year.

Have you leached the soil?

No.

Use much fertilizer?

No.

If you let some dry, does it make a nice white or yellowish
crust on top?

There is a small amount of crust. I have some crust on a lot of my
indoor plants, I think it's from the water supply which, as I've said,
tends to be on the hard side. I've never had it result in leaf burn
in a plant so young though (I only got the Stapelia last year), and
usually repot before it becomes a problem. I've also never had leaf
burn on succulents, but I suppose there's a first time for everything.

The site I pointed out earlier said that in winter (short days), water less,
or maybe not at all. If it's winter where you live, wait this situation out.
When the plant seems to be making new growth, collect some rain water and
and pour LOTS of it through the soil. Do it over the sink so the water can
drain out thoroughly. Or, if you don't want to wait, repot with fresh soil,
melt some clean snow, and use that to water the plant.