Old 26-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Snooze

Default Remove Ice Manually from Koi Pond?

Hot water and cold water doesn't mix too on it's own, so dumping hot water
into the pond will create pockets of hot water in a pond filled with cold
water. You're most likely better off, filling a large pot of boiling water,
and setting that on the ice, and having it bore a hole into the ice.

Sameer

"MC" wrote in message
om...
Even though we have had many 60+ days here in Chicago, my small pond
(500 gallons) still is 2/3 covered with ice about 5 inches thick. I am
thinking it will take at least a month to thaw. Is there any harm in
trying to "break" it into smaller chunks using hot water so I can
remove them? Will this disturb the Koi too much or should I just be
patient? I am anxious to get the pond up in the 50s to do my spring
clean out.