Old 24-03-2003, 11:20 PM
MC

Default Remove Ice Manually from Koi Pond?

Even though we have had many 60+ days here in Chicago, my small pond
(500 gallons) still is 2/3 covered with ice about 5 inches thick. I am
thinking it will take at least a month to thaw. Is there any harm in
trying to "break" it into smaller chunks using hot water so I can
remove them? Will this disturb the Koi too much or should I just be
patient? I am anxious to get the pond up in the 50s to do my spring
clean out.
Old 25-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Cleveland Ponder

It is not a good idea to pound on hte ice as the shock waves can harm
the fish. What I did was to tie an air stone to a piece of wood and
push it under the ice. This way you are pumping warm air under the
ice to melt it. Worked great for me. It will also soften up the ice
so you can break it up just by pushing on it so you can then pull
pieces of ice out.

Old 25-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Springworks

Reciprocating saw...........I do hope you mean battery operated..... The
shock can kill you while trying to see your dear fish unless your electric
saw unplugs if you fall in the pond...Tried to get my ex to make toast while
in the shower once but she wouldn't go for it................That would
certainly separate the weak and the stupid from the patient
ones.................Suppose some inept user cuts a hole in the liner by
your advice?........Then you can see the fish up close............Whats the
damn rush...........The fish are in there.......Mother Nature takes care of
her own....It's been a long winter for all....Herons and other varmints
can't get to the fish if the ponds frozen.........Slow down..............

I know...flame flame flame on me..........So what.....Maybe at this writing
someone is now unplugging their saw and thinking WHEW!, I almost did
that...............

Old 26-03-2003, 12:20 AM
John Hines

"Springworks" wrote:

Reciprocating saw...........I do hope you mean battery operated..... The
shock can kill you while trying to see your dear fish unless your electric
saw unplugs if you fall in the pond..

The original poster was asking about using warm water to do the job,
which is much safer, and easier for everybody all around.

Hot tap water will do the job, and is readily available.

Old 26-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Snooze

Hot water and cold water doesn't mix too on it's own, so dumping hot water
into the pond will create pockets of hot water in a pond filled with cold
water. You're most likely better off, filling a large pot of boiling water,
and setting that on the ice, and having it bore a hole into the ice.

Sameer

om...

Old 27-03-2003, 12:56 AM

all plugs outside are GFI, not to mention why in the world would I drop the saw into
the water? Ingrid