Old 25-02-2007, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default This group

In message , BoyPete
writes
Sacha wrote:
On 24/2/07 21:55, in article ,
"BoyPete" wrote:

snip

The problem is Common names common to where? In UK they change from
county to county or even parish to parish so it's not helpful.
If the Latin names are used, they're recognised all over the world.
That's why they're used - for plantspeople and gardeners, it's the
universal language. I think it might be helpful to you to look at
the Latin names and then check out the common names which will be
entirely different in every corner of the planet.
To take one wild plant alone, I've seen it named here as 'goose
grass', 'sticky willie' and 'cleavers', depending on the region the
poster comes from. Latin names are unequivocal if you're talking to
someone in Berkshire or Bareclona.

Yes, I understand that now. Still, it's very off-putting to the likes of me
to see all that Latin in a post, and I tend to skip them.....possibly
missing some useful info.

Botanical names are no harder, in principle, to cope with than
vernacular names. All you have to do is not let them intimidate you.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley