Old 25-02-2007, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gill Matthews Gill Matthews is offline

Default Container Cabbages and Sprouts!

In article , says...
Yes, I know the idea is perhaps a little off the wall, but I have just built
a six foot by three foot 'container' (actually, its one of those link-a-bord
thingys), and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as regards my
desire to plant some cabbages and sprouts in it. I don't consider myself
very worldly in vegetable planting (I am a mere container potato man), but,
as I love to eat cabbages and sprouts, can I do these in a container this
size, and are there any good varieties to use to get the best results within
the size constraints?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Grow one of the sprouts like Peer Gynt or Bedford fillbasket that support a high
planting density (50 cms between plants) some other varieties need distance
of 80+ cms between the plants and you do not seem to have much space.

Also if you soil veers towards acid add some lime 25g/sq m ish

Gill M