Old 26-02-2007, 08:03 PM
sockiescat sockiescat is offline
Registered User

Smile

Debev64;693660 I am a very amateur gardener and I have an awful lot of what look like galls on the stems of my Forsythia (which is about ten years' old). I have looked this up on the web, but can't find a great deal of practical advice on how to deal with it. Must I destroy the plant, and can I re-plant another? How do I treat the soil if this is a bacterial infection? I read about a product called Galltrol and Gallex, but can't seem to find anywhere that sells it. I would be very grateful for some practical advice. Thank you.

i dont know whether this will work for your forsythia or not but i do know that i did this with my euonymous and it did work okay.
i took a 5 (2kg) bag of sugar and mixed it with a pail of water--i used a mop pail size bucket then i poured it over my whole plant really soaking it in well and as long as i did this once a year and kept an eye on my shrub then it was fine.
i have since redone that area of our house and put other things there instead of the euonymous.
at this stage of the game though u either have to pull your forsythia out and replace it with something that doesnt get gall--things not related to the willow family or u can try this and see what happens. good luck, sockiescat