Old 25-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Gall Advice Please

I am a very amateur gardener and I have an awful lot of what look like galls on the stems of my Forsythia (which is about ten years' old). I have looked this up on the web, but can't find a great deal of practical advice on how to deal with it. Must I destroy the plant, and can I re-plant another? How do I treat the soil if this is a bacterial infection? I read about a product called Galltrol and Gallex, but can't seem to find anywhere that sells it. I would be very grateful for some practical advice. Thank you.
Old 26-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Registered User

Smile

Debev64;693660 I am a very amateur gardener and I have an awful lot of what look like galls on the stems of my Forsythia (which is about ten years' old). I have looked this up on the web, but can't find a great deal of practical advice on how to deal with it. Must I destroy the plant, and can I re-plant another? How do I treat the soil if this is a bacterial infection? I read about a product called Galltrol and Gallex, but can't seem to find anywhere that sells it. I would be very grateful for some practical advice. Thank you.

i dont know whether this will work for your forsythia or not but i do know that i did this with my euonymous and it did work okay.
i took a 5 (2kg) bag of sugar and mixed it with a pail of water--i used a mop pail size bucket then i poured it over my whole plant really soaking it in well and as long as i did this once a year and kept an eye on my shrub then it was fine.
i have since redone that area of our house and put other things there instead of the euonymous.
at this stage of the game though u either have to pull your forsythia out and replace it with something that doesnt get gall--things not related to the willow family or u can try this and see what happens. good luck, sockiescat
Old 26-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockiescat View Post
Debev64;693660 I am a very amateur gardener and I have an awful lot of what look like galls on the stems of my Forsythia (which is about ten years' old). I have looked this up on the web, but can't find a great deal of practical advice on how to deal with it. Must I destroy the plant, and can I re-plant another? How do I treat the soil if this is a bacterial infection? I read about a product called Galltrol and Gallex, but can't seem to find anywhere that sells it. I would be very grateful for some practical advice. Thank you.
Galls shouldn't have any adverse affect on your Forsythia apart from maybe some disfigurement of the leaves so you don't need to treat it. In fact it is quite difficult to actually get at the pests that cause them and timing of any pesticide is quite crucial. How covered is it? Could you prune out most of the infected parts? (not that that is any guarantee they won't come back) Forsythias are as tough as old boots once mature so you can be quite ruthless with it.
Old 26-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunty mor View Post
Galls shouldn't have any adverse affect on your Forsythia apart from maybe some disfigurement of the leaves so you don't need to treat it. In fact it is quite difficult to actually get at the pests that cause them and timing of any pesticide is quite crucial. How covered is it? Could you prune out most of the infected parts? (not that that is any guarantee they won't come back) Forsythias are as tough as old boots once mature so you can be quite ruthless with it.
Thank you for your response. It's on practically every joint (if that's the right word) of most stems - that is, covered! The galls vary in size. I think I remember some from last year, but not this many. If I pruned it all, it would be about a foot high!! Is it worth a try?
Old 26-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Registered User

[...]

Thank you for your response. I would be very sorry not to have a Forsythia as the best looking thing in March (except the daffodils!) so it must be worth a try.

Old 27-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Registered User

Smile

[...]

I presume that after 10 years it is pretty big so the first thing is to get in there and cut out all the dead wood. (you may need a saw!) Then look for the oldest branches, follow them down to the lowest young healthy side branch and cut above it. I don't know wether you keep it trimmed like a hedge or in its natural whippy shape but as long as you leave young vigorous branches below where you decide to cut it it will grow back! Give it a good feed once you have done this too. Oh and obviously enjoy your flowers before you do this!
Old 27-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Registered User

[...]

Thank you. I will try this.

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] Juniper Gall question Douglas Taylor Bonsai 7 25-02-2005 04:12 PM
[IBC] Crab apple root gall kevin bailey Bonsai 46 14-03-2004 09:07 PM
Article on gall formation SugarChile Gardening 0 16-05-2003 01:32 PM
Crown gall on my roses. Les Roses 2 31-03-2003 06:08 AM
Rose Gall Barron Roses 2 12-02-2003 06:25 AM