Old 26-02-2007, 10:06 PM
aunty mor aunty mor is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockiescat View Post
Debev64;693660 I am a very amateur gardener and I have an awful lot of what look like galls on the stems of my Forsythia (which is about ten years' old). I have looked this up on the web, but can't find a great deal of practical advice on how to deal with it. Must I destroy the plant, and can I re-plant another? How do I treat the soil if this is a bacterial infection? I read about a product called Galltrol and Gallex, but can't seem to find anywhere that sells it. I would be very grateful for some practical advice. Thank you.
Galls shouldn't have any adverse affect on your Forsythia apart from maybe some disfigurement of the leaves so you don't need to treat it. In fact it is quite difficult to actually get at the pests that cause them and timing of any pesticide is quite crucial. How covered is it? Could you prune out most of the infected parts? (not that that is any guarantee they won't come back) Forsythias are as tough as old boots once mature so you can be quite ruthless with it.