Old 26-02-2007, 11:13 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan ~ jan is offline

Default Question on pond liners and roots (bamboo to be precise)

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:43:37 +0000, Gill Passman
wrote:

When I constructed my old pond it was in an area that was originally
overrun with nettles that send out their roots as shoots.....when it
came to lining the pond I used sand, a pond-lining fabric and a heavy
duty butyl pond liner - it seemed to work pretty much.....

The area where I am thinking of putting the new pond has two very large
clumps of bamboo......now the spread over the last 5 years has not been
great but there has been some......IIRC clump bamboos don't send out
root shoots (can't remember the technical term)

Runners, I believe is the term you're looking for, and true, clumping
bamboo is not a problem around liner ponds.

but I'm pretty sure that
there is some sort of root network going on.....Now I don't want to dig
up the bamboo.....I would rather think of another site for the
pond....but as always I want the best of all worlds and to put my pond
in this location.....

Would the same principle of sand, pond-lining fabric and a heavy duty
butyl liner work.....or should I be looking to add additional barriers
to prevent the roots of the bamboo spreading and potentially piercing my
liner....

TIA
Gill

You might want to dig around one of the edges of the bamboo just to make
sure, but I don't think they put out a spiked runner. ~ jan