Old 26-02-2007, 09:43 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Question on pond liners and roots (bamboo to be precise)

When I constructed my old pond it was in an area that was originally
overrun with nettles that send out their roots as shoots.....when it
came to lining the pond I used sand, a pond-lining fabric and a heavy
duty butyl pond liner - it seemed to work pretty much.....

The area where I am thinking of putting the new pond has two very large
clumps of bamboo......now the spread over the last 5 years has not been
great but there has been some......IIRC clump bamboos don't send out
root shoots (can't remember the technical term) but I'm pretty sure that
there is some sort of root network going on.....Now I don't want to dig
up the bamboo.....I would rather think of another site for the
pond....but as always I want the best of all worlds and to put my pond
in this location.....

Would the same principle of sand, pond-lining fabric and a heavy duty
butyl liner work.....or should I be looking to add additional barriers
to prevent the roots of the bamboo spreading and potentially piercing my
liner....

TIA
Gill
Old 26-02-2007, 11:13 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:43:37 +0000, Gill Passman
wrote:

When I constructed my old pond it was in an area that was originally
overrun with nettles that send out their roots as shoots.....when it
came to lining the pond I used sand, a pond-lining fabric and a heavy
duty butyl pond liner - it seemed to work pretty much.....

The area where I am thinking of putting the new pond has two very large
clumps of bamboo......now the spread over the last 5 years has not been
great but there has been some......IIRC clump bamboos don't send out
root shoots (can't remember the technical term)

Runners, I believe is the term you're looking for, and true, clumping
bamboo is not a problem around liner ponds.

but I'm pretty sure that
there is some sort of root network going on.....Now I don't want to dig
up the bamboo.....I would rather think of another site for the
pond....but as always I want the best of all worlds and to put my pond
in this location.....

Would the same principle of sand, pond-lining fabric and a heavy duty
butyl liner work.....or should I be looking to add additional barriers
to prevent the roots of the bamboo spreading and potentially piercing my
liner....

TIA
Gill

You might want to dig around one of the edges of the bamboo just to make
sure, but I don't think they put out a spiked runner. ~ jan
Old 26-02-2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.ponds

~ jan wrote:

Runners, I believe is the term you're looking for, and true, clumping
bamboo is not a problem around liner ponds.

Yes, you are right....maybe I should make my sig "I've forgotten more
about gardening than I ever knew".....lol

You might want to dig around one of the edges of the bamboo just to make
sure, but I don't think they put out a spiked runner. ~ jan

I guess after 5 years in situ if they were going to do this the whole
part of this garden would be over run with bamboo....but I truly want
this project to be a success....hence all the questions....and plenty
more to come ;-)

So, to get back to the question - do you think sand, a fabric liner
(pond safe) and a heavy duty pond butyl liner is good enough?

Gill
Old 27-02-2007, 12:17 AM posted to rec.ponds

Bamboo is nice as long as its in someone elses yard........I like the
look, the way it forms a wall..........but I hate how it spreads... We
have lots of cane here and its a problem. cut it off and it gets like
pungai stakes, and pokes a hole in a tire in a heart beat.......it
does not get as bushy as bamboo does , but I assume its in the same
family....About all its good for is making a cane pole for float
fishing, or a long pole to pull spanish moss out of tree's.......

I have seen old carpeting, news papers, tarps and just about anything
you can imagine used under a liner.........I do not know how deep
bamboo roots go, but is it feasible to assume the root system wil be
destroyed or knocked way back if the pond is dug at 3 fet depth? 3
feet deep root systems is fairly deep. I have alkso heard of foks
installing aluminum or galvanized sheet metal flashing material
arund a pond to prevent roots / runners etc from going any
further.......I guess I spelled "aluminum" correctly.......or would it
be ALUMINIUM for the brits ;-)

-------