Old 27-02-2007, 06:44 PM posted to aus.gardens
len garden len garden is offline

Default Bay Tree

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:07:26 +1100, Spiny Norman
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:21:45 GMT, len garden
wrote in aus.gardens:

g'day prickles,

snipped

There are definitely some ants in the area though to be honest I do
nothing about them. I didn't know they actually caused plant diseases.

you need to work hard at keeping the ants out of the pots, i curently
use ant sand in the bottom of the pots when i repot, othersiwe having
pots is just an open invitation to them. just since being here they
have bought mealy bugs into sun jewel potted plants, and scale onto
kalachoe plants, and aphids onto a potted rose.

with this method i put enough pot mix in to cover the drain home area,
pak it down a bit (most mixes now drain way too freely so packing down
a bit is essential to slow water drainage) give a good sprinkle of ant
sand over the whole area then add more mix and then the plant.

for now you may need to sprinkle and sand around the base of the plant
on top of the mix and around the surface where the pot is standing,
once ant activity has all but ceased then spray the plants with white
oil but only after the ehat of the sun, we generaly use white oil at
around 1/4 the recommended rate.

it will burn some leaves on some plants the spotty look, but it's
either that or lose the plant, new leaves will come.

I will make up the oil solution and try it on the plant.

BTW I was looking at your web site and am going to try making your
laundry 'detergent' . Does it have any destructive effects on elastic?
I seem to remember washing clothes using pure soap once and all the
elastic self destructed

we ahve ahd no problems with this mix and my lovely and a lot of other
converts are very pleased with it.
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len