Old 27-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Debev64 Debev64 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunty mor View Post
Originally Posted by sockiescat
Debev64;693660 I am a very amateur gardener and I have an awful lot of what look like galls on the stems of my Forsythia (which is about ten years' old). I have looked this up on the web, but can't find a great deal of practical advice on how to deal with it. Must I destroy the plant, and can I re-plant another? How do I treat the soil if this is a bacterial infection? I read about a product called Galltrol and Gallex, but can't seem to find anywhere that sells it. I would be very grateful for some practical advice. Thank you.

Thank you for your response. It's on practically every joint (if that's the right word) of most stems - that is, covered! The galls vary in size. I think I remember some from last year, but not this many. If I pruned it all, it would be about a foot high!! Is it worth a try?

I presume that after 10 years it is pretty big so the first thing is to get in there and cut out all the dead wood. (you may need a saw!) Then look for the oldest branches, follow them down to the lowest young healthy side branch and cut above it. I don't know wether you keep it trimmed like a hedge or in its natural whippy shape but as long as you leave young vigorous branches below where you decide to cut it it will grow back! Give it a good feed once you have done this too. Oh and obviously enjoy your flowers before you do this!
Thank you. I will try this.