Old 27-02-2007, 11:32 PM posted to aus.gardens
Spiny Norman Spiny Norman is offline

Default Bay Tree

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:44:37 GMT, len garden
wrote in aus.gardens:

you need to work hard at keeping the ants out of the pots, i curently
use ant sand in the bottom of the pots when i repot, othersiwe having
pots is just an open invitation to them. just since being here they
have bought mealy bugs into sun jewel potted plants, and scale onto
kalachoe plants, and aphids onto a potted rose.

I usually put old screen mesh at the bottom of my pots to cover the
holes stops things getting in an roots getting out. I think it is fine
enough to stop ants (but not sure)

Some times I wonder how things get into pots. I found some small worms
in an old toilet with a tree in it. I had drilled the bottonmm to let
the water out but covered the holes with screen wire, yet there they
were. Watering it with dishwashing water soon made them scram but
there were much easier containers for them to take up residence in

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons