Old 28-02-2007, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default How do people here root lemon cuttings?

I have two lemon trees which I just pruned and cleaned up after they
were under cover for the winter. They actually had lemons on them!
One is 'Pink Lemonade' with variegated foliage. The other is plain
green, both are Meyers lemons.

I am trying to get them into a tree shape, so each spring I prune out
everything going in toward the center, or crossing, or anything lower
than the canopy I'm trying to make.

I took the trimmings and made heel cuts, dipped them in rooting
hormone and firmed them into flats with moist pro-mix. I don't have
any plastic around which is clear. Should I use a white plastic bag
to put over the entire flats? Is this a futile attempt at something
which will not become plants?

There is virtually nobody around selling citrus. It cannot be shipped
here in Texas for some reason. At least that's what I have been told
so it may not be true. I would still like to make gallon sized plants
with these cuttings and eventually sell them locally to the better
garden centers which have more than impatiens and petunias.

Any experience out there?

Victoria