Old 28-02-2007, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How do people here root lemon cuttings?

I have two lemon trees which I just pruned and cleaned up after they
were under cover for the winter. They actually had lemons on them!
One is 'Pink Lemonade' with variegated foliage. The other is plain
green, both are Meyers lemons.

I am trying to get them into a tree shape, so each spring I prune out
everything going in toward the center, or crossing, or anything lower
than the canopy I'm trying to make.

I took the trimmings and made heel cuts, dipped them in rooting
hormone and firmed them into flats with moist pro-mix. I don't have
any plastic around which is clear. Should I use a white plastic bag
to put over the entire flats? Is this a futile attempt at something
which will not become plants?

There is virtually nobody around selling citrus. It cannot be shipped
here in Texas for some reason. At least that's what I have been told
so it may not be true. I would still like to make gallon sized plants
with these cuttings and eventually sell them locally to the better
garden centers which have more than impatiens and petunias.

Any experience out there?

Victoria
Old 28-02-2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Jangchub" wrote in message

I took the trimmings and made heel cuts, dipped them in rooting
hormone and firmed them into flats with moist pro-mix. I don't have
any plastic around which is clear. Should I use a white plastic bag
to put over the entire flats? Is this a futile attempt at something
which will not become plants?

I cut the bottoms off plastic soda and water bottles to make little cloche
covers for my cuttings. You can remove the cap if they are getting too wet
or close it up if you need more warmth and moisture. Look at it this
way......you started out with no cuttings so if they don't work you aren't
out anything but a bit of time; if they grow you've made progress.

Val

Old 01-03-2007, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:27:39 -0800, "Val"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
.. .

I took the trimmings and made heel cuts, dipped them in rooting
hormone and firmed them into flats with moist pro-mix. I don't have
any plastic around which is clear. Should I use a white plastic bag
to put over the entire flats? Is this a futile attempt at something
which will not become plants?

I cut the bottoms off plastic soda and water bottles to make little cloche
covers for my cuttings. You can remove the cap if they are getting too wet
or close it up if you need more warmth and moisture. Look at it this
way......you started out with no cuttings so if they don't work you aren't
out anything but a bit of time; if they grow you've made progress.

Val

We don't drink soda any more, but I have a billion gallon milk jugs
which I can do the same thing with. That is a great idea, thanks.

As for the success, I agree. I know people are hankering for this
variegated, pink fruited form, so I'd like to put it out there.

thanks,
Victoria

Old 01-03-2007, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote:
[...]

The usual method for propagating citrus is to plant seeds to get a
sapling rootstock and then graft the desired variety (e.g., from
prunings) onto that rootstock. If you start with Meyer lemon seeds for
the rootstock, the tree should be a standard size. If you start with
some other variety of citrus, especially not lemon (not even Eureka),
you may get a dwarf.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean