Old 26-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Steve in 236

Default Mystery fish

"Renes Smither" wrote in message
Steve,

If you download the picture by right clicking on it it can then be opened

in
MS Paint or whatever JPG editor you have on your PC. The real image is

quite
large and hi-res, and is 440KB in size. I just put the site up in

geocitees
as my news provider does not host the binaries groups. I would be very
interested in your opinion.

Regards,

Renes

Renes,

I viewed the picture with MS paint and I'm changing my mind. You've run
headlong into a wonderful lesson on natural selection. What you have are
nice, plump "brassies". Brassies are the common goldfish (Carrasius
auratus) that have been born with a more natural brass coloration. A
millenia or two ago, almost all goldfish were that color. The Chinese
started the aquarium hobby by hand selecting the few brightly colored fish
out of their food ponds and raising them in ceramic pots. At one time
someone introduced ornamental goldfish to the pond and they spawned, and
genetics being what they are this led to a mix of colors in the offspring.
Obviously, being a flaming orange color is not the best tactic in the
natural world. Predators have picked off all of the brightly colored
goldfish in the pond, leaving the better camoflaged ones. This could easily
happen in one generation.